Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions for 2009

I know, I know, I promised this blog wouldn't be personal. I don't think I'm breaking that promise, as they aren't too specific; no "I resolve to hold my temper, even around effin' skanks like that slut Mary Sue who pushed me down the stairs for mackin' on her man" or "I resolve to get that huge mole on my left buttock removed. Even though it's good for predicting the weather, it really detracts from my sex appeal, and I fear it may be cancerous."* Nope, nothing like that, fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective).

So here are my resolutions for the year. I'm posting them in this great public forum we call the internet, because I'm trusting you, my friends, to keep me honest.

- I resolve to write more, and to never stop critiquing and making what I produce better. Ideally, I will write something (other than school assignments) everyday.

- I resolve to exercise more, and maybe even run a 5k or half-marathon. Actually, maybe I'd better start by running a mile without stopping. But the sentiment is there!

- I resolve to practice the French horn more. I literally cannot remember the last time I actually legitimately practiced my instrument, which may explain my

- I resolve to relegate all bouts of self-pity to less than 15 minutes, ideally 10. I also resolve to not allow myself to start another bout immediately after I finish one.

-On a related note, I resolve to reallocate the time I use brooding, stewing or worrying for other pursuits.

- I resolve to be less afraid of the phone, and in general, better at returning calls, emails and letters.

- I resolve to become the editor-in-chief of a major alternative weekly publication, achieve fame and fortune as an internationally-known hand model, and win the lottery. Hey, everyone needs something impossible to strive for.

And with that, I wish you all a happy new year.


*For the record, I don't have a huge mole on my left buttock, or anywhere else on my body. That skank Mary Sue, however, is a different story...

No comments: